Friday, 1 December 2017

Conte will not face touchline ban for being sent to the stands against Swansea

Loading...




Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is set to be fined, but not given a touchline ban, for being sent to the stands against Swansea City.


The Football Association charged Conte on Thursday with misconduct after the Italian remonstrated with fourth official Lee Mason over a goal-kick to Swansea at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night, which he felt should have been a corner to Chelsea.

Conte was dismissed from the touchline by referee Neil Swarbrick for his protestations, and watched the second half of the Premier League game – which Chelsea won 1-0 – in the dressing room.

Despite being charged with misconduct by the FA, Standard Sport understands that Conte is subject to a standard charge – meaning he will only be handed an £8,000 fine should he accept the charge.

However, should he contest it and be found guilty, the Chelsea coach could be hit with an increased fine.

Standard charges are handed out to first-time offenders in the Premier League, and Conte will therefore not be given a touchline ban because the dismissal was his first since coming to England last year.

However, should the Chelsea coach be sent off again within a 12-month period, he could run the risk of being charged and handed a touchline ban.

After the victory over Swansea, Conte revealed he had apologised to both Mason and Swarbrick for losing his cool at Stamford Bridge.

He said: “It’s right to apologise for what happened during the game. During the game, in the first half, I saw that Swansea were wasting time.

“I said this a few times to the fourth official. At the same time I didn’t see something change in the first half. I was frustrated for this situation.

“I tried to tell again, but then the referee took this decision. I repeat: I apologise for this. I was frustrated. For sure I made a mistake. During the game I suffer. With my players I suffer. It’s a pity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment