Wednesday, 24 January 2018

‘I support Chelsea, I was a ball boy… it was a difficult decision to leave’


Nathaniel Chalobah has opened up to talkSPORT about his difficult decision to quit his beloved Chelsea.

The midfielder turned down a new contract at Stamford Bridge to join Watford in a £6million deal in the summer.

Chalobah, a boyhood Blues fan, had been at Stamford Bridge since the age of 10 and there was widespread disappointment among supporters over his departure.

Speaking to Hawksbee and Jacobs on Wednesday, the 22-year-old said: “It was a difficult situation for me and a difficult position because I had been at the club for a very long time.

“I support the club, I was a ball boy at the games and I’ve been a big Chelsea fan. After being on so many loans and finally being back in the squad last season, I was living my dream.

“It was a tough decision to make because I wanted to play and last year the boys were playing so well and doing amazing things so I couldn’t really complain at the decison [to leave me out].

“Like any young player, you want to play football and it was time for me to venture out and see if I can get some games under my belt and see where that takes me. It wasn’t an easy decision at all.”

Chalobah started the season with Watford in fine form, earning him a call-up to the England senior squad, but has been sidelined since the end of September having suffered a fractured knee cap.

The man who brought him to the club, Marco Silva, departed last week after a run of just one win in 11 Premier League games and was replaced by Javi Gracia.

Chalobah has yet to meet the new boss but says he expects to have talks soon and is closing in on a return to first team action.

“My knee is OK, it is getting there,” he said. “I have been doing the rehab and taking it slowly, plugging away every day, and I have seen some improvements recently,” he said.

“I don’t really want to say over the radio how long I’ll be out, but it’s not far off, not long hopefully.”

No comments:

Post a Comment